Marine Design Plug-in for Rhino 6
Level One, Standalone (non-networked) License
|Hull Design||Parametric Speed/Power Analysis|
|Hydrostatics/Intact Stability||Weight/Cost Tracking|
The design of a vessel in Orca3D begins with the hull model. Hull design is a unique combination of artistic expression and engineering analysis, combining to form a creative process to meet the aesthetic and performance requirements of the vessel.
The software that you use to transform the hull from an idea to a 3D computer model should enrich the creative process, with guidance provided by precise and detailed analyses. With Orca3D, you have complete freedom to create any type of hull, beginning with a concept and carrying through to final fairing, while ensuring that the hull meets your target hydrostatic properties.
In Orca3D, the hull is created as a NURBS surface. While Rhino provides many important surface creation and editing tools, Orca3D adds capabilities that are specific to hull design, such as:
- Hull Assistants, for instantly creating hulls according to a range of input dimensional and shape parameters
- Easy definition of the sections to be displayed on your hull surface; stations, buttocks, waterlines, and other planar curves. The user may specify the color of these sections, together with the layers upon which they should be placed.
- Real-time update of the sections as the hull surface is modified
- Real-time update of the hydrostatics as the hull surface is modified
- Control over the shape of the forefoot of the hull, ensuring a curvature-continuous transition from the stem to the bottom
- Easy positioning of the surface’s control vertices, either interactively, or via Orca3D’s vertex control dialog
Any type of hull and hull feature may be modeled. Hulls may be created as a single surface, or when appropriate, multiple surfaces. Tools like blending, trimming, and filleting provide tremendous capability and flexibility.
Hydrostatics and Stability
The process of hull design is more than simply aesthetics; the hull must meet various other requirements, including overall dimensions, displacement, center of buoyancy, and stability. Therefore, the process of hull design and the analysis of hydrostatics and stability must be closely linked. In Orca3D, the model for these tasks is one and the same; the hull is designed using one or more NURBS surfaces, and these same surfaces are used in the calculation of the hydrostatics and stability properties. In fact, they are so closely linked, that the hydrostatics can be updated in real time, as the hull surface is modified.
What calculations are included?
Orca3D computes intact hydrostatics at one or more waterlines, or multiple displacement/center of gravity combinations. In addition, at each of these conditions, the righting arm curve may be computed. Computed values include:
- Overall and waterplane dimensions
- Integrated values: volume, displacement, center of buoyancy, wetted surface
- Waterplane properties: waterplane area, center of flotation
- Maximum sectional area data
- Hull form coefficients: block, prismatic, vertical prismatic, max section, waterplane, wetted surface
- Stability parameters: transverse and longitudinal inertias and metacentric heights
- Righting Arm Curve: righting arm and trim angle versus heel, height of any points of interest above the flotation plane
What kinds of vessels can be analyzed?
Because Orca3D computes the hydrostatic properties based on the surface model, using first principles, there is really no limit to the type of vessel or object that it can analyze. Monohulls, multihulls, vessels with propeller or bow thruster tunnels…basically, anything that floats, or even sinks, can be analyzed with Orca3D.
What output is available?
Graphical output consists of a planar surface inserted at the equilibrium flotation plane, with the LCB and LCF annotated.
Orca3D produces a report that includes tabular data at each flotation condition, as well as plots of appropriate parameters. The report is created and displayed using Microsoft Report Generator; the file may then be printed, or saved in Adobe Acrobat® (pdf) or Microsoft Excel® format. Examples of portions of the output are shown below:
We Also Recommend
Flamingo nXt for Windows Upgrade Educational Lab [F30U-LAB]
AUD $ 340.55 + GST
NZD $ 334.19 + GST
Penguin 2.0 for Windows Upgrade Commercial Single User [P20U]
AUD $ 165.91 + GST
NZD $ 162.81 + GST
Rhino 6 Commercial Single User [R60] for Windows or Mac
AUD $ 1,737.69 + GST
NZD $ 1,705.23 + GST
Rhino 6 Educational Single User [R60-E] for Windows or Mac
AUD $ 340.55 + GST
NZD $ 334.19 + GST